Thursday, October 4, 2007

First Day of Teaching

Yesterday was my first day of classes. The first 2 classes went really well. I just talked about myself for a couple minutes. (It's actually kind of hard to speak slowly enough and to not use slang or Americanisms). I told them about where I am from and they all got excited when I sang the theme song from Fresh Prince of Belair to remind them that Philadelphia is where Will Smith is from. Some of them asked such serious questions too! One very small boy in the 2nde (10th grade) was so brave and was asking questions like if I was for or against the death penalty. It was really adorable. They were also very interested in Paris Hilton and Las Vegas.
After these two really cute classes I had a super awkward experience. I went to my next class and, besides the teacher and me, there were only 2 girls in the class and the boys were a little rowdy. I was there maybe 10 minutes when the teacher started screaming at the students that she was ashamed of them. Then she turned very nicely to me and said "Thank-you very much, Sarah. See you next time."
The next 3 classes were much better. I had 2 that were pretty standard (except in one a girl demonstrated a dancing style called techtonique that is sort of like raving/pretending you're losing your balance) and one where we watched David Letterman's interview with Paris Hilton. It was really funny but the humor and vocab were kind of advanced so I was the only one laughing. (The teacher had left me alone with the students.) I think after watching it twice and having me explain the hard words they pretty much got it, though.
In other news, Sophia is coming tonight!! She came to St. Brieuc on Wednesday for our orientation but it wasn't super relaxed because she had to catch the train home at 10. Tonight she is going to stay over in a spare dorm room that is unlocked for some reason so we can faire la fête!
Also, I found a place to live!! It's a colocation with 3 french girls! I'm moving on Monday! We will have wi-fi! Hurrah!


No comments: