Monday, November 12, 2007

Fun Weekend!

It's Monday afternoon after a really fun weekend. Friday night I had a party at my house for the assistants in St. Brieuc and Lannion. My excuse was that it was to celebrate that we were all back from our various vacations but really it was just because I like parties. I made chocolate covered pretzels and bought cheese and bread. I also found a bottle of wine for €1.20 and one of cidre for €1.50. They weren't good but I was still impressed. We had a good time and then went out to O'Kenny together for some Kilkenny (obviously). We also went to the worst (and only) night club in town. After that all the out of towners came back to my place to sleep on couches etc. Lot's of fun!
The next night we went to a Fest Noz (which means fête de nuit, or night party, in breton) in Lamballe. There were traditional musicians playing breton music and we all (tried) to learn the traditional dances. It was a really good time. It started at 9pm and I couldn't believe that by the time we were all ready to go at 2 there were lots of Grandmas and Grandpas still going strong. There were also lots of young people there, which was interesting because I don't think teenagers in the States would be interested in dancing in lines all night with their parents, holding on to each other by their pinkies but they were really into it. There was one huge guy in a kilt, which I later found out is not really traditional breton gear so I think maybe he was just insane, but he knew the words to all the songs and whenever the musicians tooks breaks he would sing songs along so people didn't have to stop dancing. I forgot my camera (of course) but I'll add pictures once someone sends me some!

p.s. By popular request I'll add that there was call and response singing, accordian, guitar, violin, bagpipes and some kind of recorder type instrument (maybe a clarinet or a bombarde). The music was really good and lively; similar to the feeling of Irish traditional music. The pictures are still in the works!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fest noz and no pictures? No sound? I need some answers. Bagpipes? How many, what kind? Kan ha diskan? You know, call and response singing? C'mon, tell me more!