Wednesday, September 12, 2007

News Flash!

There have been some new developments! I finally got in touch with my French boss (my responsable) and she has turned out to be very helpful. Apparently, she was in Senegal all summer and was having trouble getting the school to forward her emails to me. She did tell me some bad news: they are renovating the assistants' rooms this year so, while I can stay there when I first get to France, I'll have look for an apartment once I get there. This could be a blessing in disguise, however, because this way I can live somewhere with a kitchen but still have somewhere to stay when I first get to St. Brieuc. Now I just have to find roommates. It would be nice to live with other assistants but it seems like most of them have housing provided by their schools so maybe I'll be living with French people (which would be scary but would certainly improve my French). The lycée where I'll be teaching is a professional high school for kids who need job skills and who aren't going to college. My responsable told me that I'll be teaching 16 year olds who have been studying English for four years but most of whom "aren't too good" (her words). I'll also be working with some students who have already passed their bac (graduation exam) and who are going into the construction field. They need help reading technical documents in English. I hope it isn't a problem that there is most likely a lot of construction related English vocab that is completely unknown to me . . .

On the packing front, what I thought would be a simple hemming job on a few pairs of pants turned out to be an ordeal of Homeric proportions. There's something seriously wrong with my new sewing machine and we've been to the sewing machine store to have someone fix the same problem 3 times . . .basically the bobbin case seems to be trying to escape from the machine. So today I had to go to the tailor to get my last two pairs of pants hemmed (I managed to get two others done myself). On the bright side, the Korean couple who owns the tailor shop was really sweet, especially when they found out I was going to France to be an English teacher.

I guess that's it for now. Sophia and I are flying to Paris tomorrow night . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

salut!!! ton site est bien fait!! :)
and photos of St brieuc are very beautiful, i'm surprised of it! :-DD but the truth is that the coast is super beautiful in real and with all kind of meteo!! :)
i read that you have problem of accomodation, try to make search google with words (colocation St Brieuc), i suppose it will be possible to find some people who needs someone to rend cheaper.
if you don't find, you can go to agency "à louer", you'll find many accomodation, but not cheapeast ones, most modern ones.