Friday, February 1, 2008

I am writing this post from my own home

I can't express with words my joy over having the internet in my house. Its totally thrilling. So thrilling that I'm not going to ruin my good mood by posting about how my landlady is INSANE. I'll save that for another day. As a teaser, yesterday she reached new lows of irrational and illogical behavior.

I have a few more stories about things my students say:

1. Mathieu: (points to self) It's a good boyfriend.
Me: How old are you?
Mathieu: 20
Me: (incredulous look)
Mathieu: Bahhhh, 20 in 4 months.
Me: Soooo, 19, in other words
Mathieu: but I am major! (He meant that he wasn't a minor. This is actually alarming since he's in the French equivalent of 11th grade and should be almost 17 not almost 20)

later....
Mathieu: Sarah, we like you (meaning he and his friends in class).
Me: That's nice, Mathieu, I like you guys too.
Mathieu: You are very interesting
Me: uh huh
Mathieu: (points to self) It is man (points to me) It is woman. It works.

No, Mathieu, it doesn't.

2. In Anglophone Jeopardy, students were asked to give the capital of South Africa. One boy raised his hand very enthusiastically and yelled, "Venezuela!!!"

3. Similarly, when the question was "Name 3 Presidents of the US not including George W. Bush," a very excited girl called out "Canada!!!" Really, there's no excuse for that since the words in English and French for "president" are exactly the same.

Sigh.

In other news, Clare has held 3 different students' hands. Thankfully, these have all been guys in the technical college program; she hasn't done any hand holding with high school students...yet.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

You're going to incriminate Clare by posting this information. I am happy you both have internet at home! Hope Rennes last night was fun, Roscoff was beautiful.